Have you ever thought how painful it must be for the knees to bear the weight of the entire body? Our mobility as well as flexibility depend much on our knees. And as we grow older, knee pain becomes one of the most common problems among almost all of us. You can in fact come across many people for whom walking becomes a nightmare because their knees pain so much. To restore the function of the knees, knee replacement surgery becomes the most feasible way out for them. However, this surgery may sound simple but costs a lot of money. This is where a health insurance policy helps the patients a lot. Therefore, you should put your money into buying a health insurance policy that provides several benefits, at the right time.
Some of the health companies in India will enable you to file a reimbursement claim for the surgery and treatment. Whereas, some insurance companies offer coverage on health insurance for knee replacement surgery. However, before you finalize a health insurance policy, take a deeper look and try to understand this better.
What is a knee replacement?
Knee pain can happen for various reasons to people and at any age. One of the most common reasons is aging. However, the other reasons can be a sedentary lifestyle, obesity, ligament tears, osteoarthritis, injuries, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. However, not finding a treatment for this can lead to unbearable pain at one point. One of the easiest ways out for this is getting knee replacement surgery.
A knee replacement surgery is quite delicate where the damaged bones are replaced by the experts. The damaged bones and cartilage are replaced with prosthetics or artificial joints. Nevertheless, before you are getting knee replacement surgery, you must gain the required knowledge of several types of knee replacement surgeries that are available in the country.
- Complete knee replacement: If you are undergoing this type of knee surgery, the entire knee will be replaced with prosthetics by surgeons.
- Partial replacement: This kind of knee surgery is done by expert surgeons on only the affected areas of the knees.
- Bilateral knee replacement: This kind of knee surgery is done by the surgeons to replace both the knees in one surgery.
When should you go for knee replacement surgery?
If you are suffering from acute pain and dysfunction in any of the knees, then you should undergo knee replacement surgery. You may get recommended to get some tests such as MRIs, X-rays, etc. This will help in understanding the condition of the knees.
If you find it difficult to walk or climb the stairs, or you feel knee pain even while in the seated position, you might have to undergo knee replacement surgery.
What you should consider before getting knee replacement surgery?
Here are some of the things that you should consider before deciding to get knee replacement surgery.
- Earlier this kind of surgery would come under cosmetic treatments. However, now several health insurance companies offer reimbursement for such surgeries.
- If you plan to buy a health insurance policy for your knee replacement surgery, you must check the waiting period. You also should check the add-on facility and find out if the facility will help in improving the premiums.
- Although many insurance companies provide this kind of cover, not all of them bear the entire cost of knee replacement surgery.
Now if you want to find the insurance companies that offer coverage for knee replacement surgery, you should visit the website of IIFL. You will also be able to find many other health insurance policies that can prove to be suitable for you and your family.